gwd test
13 August 2011
The rise and rise of Sangat TV - what is the technical kit behind the camera?
Sangat TV has risen this week into meteoric stardom. I've heard mutterings from other media types on how impressive their work has been and asking questions like how do they do that?
In this post, I want to explore the how we can all produce a TV station if we wanted to here in Warwickshire and Coventry.
To stream live video over the internet, you only need a standard laptop, webcam and WiFi connection, that's it. CI Kerry Blakeman from West Midlands Police has been using a combination of live and pre-recorded video clips armed with nothing more than an iPhone.
Sangat TV was only launched in September 2010, broadcasts on Sky 847 and justin.tv. Ut's a Sikh lifestylke channel and is owned by the Sangat Trust. By now, many people know of their heartfelt and charismatic presenter Upinder Randhawa.
So, although I have an email out to Sangat TV, I fully expect them to be far too busy to reply - sure they will when all becomes measured and calm.
It appears Sangat TV use LiveU technology which is supplied by Nuneaton's Garland Partners. For those new to this (like me), we usually see a minivan from the BBC, Sky or ITV parked outside a court house with a satellite dish the size of a small trampoline pointing to the clouds. Reporter talks to camera, camera beams to minivan to satellite to studio to out TV screens.
But not any longer, as this tweet confirms what I was thinking: Birmingham Riots covered last night using @LiveU 3G mobile backpacks supplied by @GarlandPartners, fab coverage in the heart of the action!
And yes, I have a call out to Garland Partners to find out who else, if any in Warwickshire and Coventry are using this kind of kit. For those still reading, we have a Portable Uplink Unit transmitting multiple mobile data to a cellular carrier to a server which is then streamed to web, TV or smartphone.
About six weeks ago, at Godiva 2011, CI Kerry Blakeman was reporting local policing video updates from War Memorial Park. Behind the scenes, we were all trying to find out the best way to upload good video content without broadband/WiFi - and there wasn't one. But, now with a little thought and planning, I'm sure we all can club together and make Warwickshire and Coventry it's own TV station.
I'm sure Sangat TV will help out with some advice. I have no idea about costs, but I think for 835 million people in this area, local TV could be an option.
If you have any contribution to make in this discussion, please leave a comment or email. Links: Sangat TV, liveu.tv/technology and Garland Partners.
NOTE: this post appeared at whatsinKenilworth.com and 30 mins ago. No copyright issues as I am wiK
NOTE: this post appeared at whatsinKenilworth.com and 30 mins ago. No copyright issues as I am wiK
Labels:
news,
streaming media
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts last 7 days
-
I've been avoiding anything to do with the election at all. I noticed the BBC News website had a new ELECTION 2010 section and that made...
-
If you know what you're looking for, type a word or two in the search box on the right. If you are just looking, click on word from the ...
-
I needed to photograph Castle Hill, couldn't get parked as an event was on. Circled Clinton Lane ended up looping down Woodcote and into...
-
I mainly use Twitter from a laptop, upload photos to Google's Picasa and use Google's YouTube for videos. Oh, and I also upload blog...
-
text Loading... end text
-
text open text closed test 2 http://www.123dapp.com/catch/toy-town-square/4222394 end text 2
-
text 1 Source: StatCounter Global Stats - Browser Market Share text 2
-
Here are the Sarah Hill show to watch again. This is a test post to see how the code performs and embeds. looking good so far. Expand this p...
-
The Outdoor Football/Basketball Court will now be open at weekends from 9am to 9pm as Mike Downes has agreed to open and close the court. A...
-
This post supports the Article: U News-from Columbia Missouri Launches this week with a UK link: +Mike Downes




No comments:
Post a Comment
For help adding links see How to add in line links